Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Special Project

Just got the green light to design a small shawl for a special outside project! It's due in about a month, but if this is just my morning's work, I imagine it'll get done a lot sooner!

I wanted to play with the currently popular crescent-shaped shawl trend by revisiting the lovely, venerable Faroese shawl. Traditionally, they're worked from the bottom up, casting on all the stitches for the base of two outer triangular pieces and a central, unshaped panel. The two triangles are slowly decreased until you reach the back neck.

But I dislike committing to a shawl size right off the bat. I like to let it grow and see how large I can make it with a set amount of yarn or in a set amount of time. And who likes counting out hundreds of cast-on stitches? 

So I cast on for the central panel, then just my selvage stitches on either edge. I'll increase 1 stitch on either side of the panel every RS row, making a slowly sloping shape up and away from the central panel. Then I'll have to think of a clever way to bind off all the stitches up by the shoulders and neck so they aren't too tight. It'll come to me! :)

No comments: